Prefinished | LVT | Sheet Vinyl | Laminate | Bamboo
Unfinished | Solid Hardwood | Cork | Engineered Hardwood
Engineered hardwood core is made up of multiple layers of wood stacked in a cross-grain configuration which minimizes expanding and shrinking. Engineered hardwood provides an advantage over solid hardwood because of the ability to install in multiple areas of the home. Engineered floors are designed for installation over concrete and to help mitigate potential moisture issues.
Advantages of Engineered Floors:
- The cross-layer construction prevents the floor from expanding as much as a 3/4" or 5/16" solid floor when exposed to moisture. Therefore, you can install engineered anywhere in the home, including the basement.
- Engineered floors are also more environmentally friendly and less expensive than solid hardwood floors because the veneer is only a few millimeters thick.
- It will not contract or expand as much due to changes in humidity or temperature.
Engineered hardwood has several advantages over solid hardwood:
- It is generally less expensive than solid hardwood
- It can usually be installed on all grades, including below grade
- It can be installed over radiant heat-It can be installed over a concrete subfloor